The JudgementWORK ON WHAT HAS BEEN SPOILED
Has supreme success.
It furthers one to cross the great water.
Before the starting point, three days.
After the starting point, three days.
The ImageThe wind blows low on the mountain:
The image of DECAY.
Thus the superior man stirs up the people
And strengthens their spirit.
- 6 - He does not serve kings and princes,
Sets himself higher goals.
- 5 - Setting right what has been spoiled by the father.
One meets with praise.
- 4 - Tolerating what has been spoiled by the father.
In continuing one sees humiliation.
- 3 - Setting right what has been spoiled by the father.
There will be a little remorse.
No great blame.
- 2 - Setting right what has been spoiled by the mother.
One must not be too persevering.
- 1 - Setting right what has been spoiled by the father.
If there is a son,
No blame rests upon the departed father.
Danger. In the end good fortune.
CommentaryThe Chinese character ku represents a bowl in whose contents worms are breeding.
This means decay.
It is come about because the gentle indifference in the lower trigram has come together with the rigid inertia of the upper, and the result is stagnation.
Since this implies guilt, the conditions embody a demand for removal of the cause.
Hence the meaning of the hexagram is not simply “what has been spoiled” but “work on what has been spoiled.”